For episode #30 of the Frictionless Innkeeper podcast series, we speak with Wild Man Dan Tatarka and his wife, Terri Tatarka, the owners/innkeepers of WildManDan’s Beercentric Bed and Breakfast, a B&B with an onsite nanobrewery nestled in Nelson County, Virginia, about following their passion for beer and pleasing guests.
In many ways, success in life comes down to following your passions, and working hard to turn that passion into a viable livelihood. For Wild Man Dan Tatarka and his wife, Terri Tatarka, the owners/innkeepres of WildManDan’s Beercentric Bed and Breakfast, success comes from their passion for beer and being around great people.
After having careers in both fiber optical engineering and hospitality, Master Brewer Wild Man Dan and Terri decided to launch a unique beercentric B&B in 2015 in the Blue Ridge Mountains of Virginia, where they could offer specialized beer and accommodations for guests.
As a result of this focus on their passions, WildManDan’s Beercentric Bed and Breakfast, has been named the “Best of Blue Ridge,” has a 50 percent re-booking rate, and has received enthusiastic press coverage from beer-oriented media outlets.
The inn has also made some changes due to COVID-19. For example, in 2021 guests will need to rent out the full property of five bedrooms, and is exploring expansion and ways to serve non-guests at their bar. Currently, they are able to sell to-go crowlers.
Following are highlights from our interview:
- About Wild Man Dan and Terri’s backgrounds, and how they became innkeepers. (1:44)
- About the property, and how they are going through renovations right now to potentially expand their beer business. (6:07)
- What they offer to guests that revolves around their beer and beer classes. (13:49)
- How guests will need to book the full five-bedroom property in 2021. (21:48)
- How Wild Man Dan and Terri define the guest experience, and what strategies they have used to improve it. (26:05)
- The most important questions they would ask a leading expert/consultant in the B&B industry. (29:10)
- Age demographics for guests who stay at their property and how they are trending. (31:00)
We are very thankful to Wild Man Dan and Terri for sharing their insights with us! You can learn more about WildManDan’s Beercentric Bed and Breakfast by visiting their website.