For episode #13 of the Frictionless Innkeeper podcast series, we speak with Peter MacLaren, owner and operator of the West Hill House B&B in Warren, Vermont, about enhancing the guest experience, committing to being a green property, and leveling the playing field with short-term rentals.
The secret sauce to being an award-winning B&B often comes down to a wide-range of ingredients. From achieving positive online reviews due to continually pleasing guests to becoming heavily involved in area chambers of commerce to being environmentally friendly, the West Hill House B&B checks off all of the boxes.
As a result, the Vermont Chamber of Commerce recently named Peter the 2019 “Innkeeper of the Year.” This is quite a tremendous accolade because there are more than 400 B&Bs and boutique hotels in Vermont, and the state is internationally known for being a destination for travelers seeking an off-the-beaten-path inn experience.
In addition, Peter and Susan focus on providing guests with insider knowledge on all of the skiing, restaurants, cheese makers, rafting, craft beer festivals, and other outdoors activities in the area. They also offer group breakfasts, which create opportunities for guests to get to know each other better.
In this podcast, Peter shares his innkeeper story, and how they offer an award-winning guest experience:
· The West Hill House B&B, and how Peter and Susan came about to be innkeepers. (1:07)
· Background about the property itself, as well as its amenities. (2:47)
· Background into how they were named the 2019 “Innkeeper of the Year.” (5:00)
· How Peter defines “guest experience” and how they continually aim to please guests. (7:15)
· How they provide guests with insider information on local events, restaurants, and attractions. (10:37)
· Their commitment to being a serious green property, including use of solar power and composting. (14:00)
· How Peter has been involved in issues like the rise of unlicensed short-term rentals in Vermont. (20:05)
We would like to thank Peter for sharing his insights . You can learn more about The West Hill House B&B by visiting their website.