For episode #14 of the Frictionless Innkeeper podcast series, we speak with Rob Fulton, CEO of the Association of Independent Hospitality Professionals (AIHP), about the 2019 AIHP Summit, as well as his organization’s 2018 study “B&B’s UNBOUND – The State of B&B’s in the U.S.”
You can also listen to the podcast at blogtalkradio.
The Association of Independent Hospitality Professionals (AIHP) is a nonprofit organization that represents, supports, educates, and advocates for independent hospitality professionals to enhance their personal satisfaction and business success. Founded in 2015, AIHP has seen phenomenal growth over the last four years and continues to gain traction as a key voice for independent lodging.
In 2018, the organization issued its in-depth “B&B’s UNBOUND – The State of B&B’s in the U.S.” study, which focuses on how independent hoteliers and B&Bs fit into the larger travel industry. In the face of the impact of OTAs and short-term rentals, the study found that the sector is actually growing overall, despite these disruptive trends.
In late March of this year, AIHP held its highly successful 2019 Knowledge Sharing Summit & Marketplace in Cincinnati. With events like this, a forward-thinking belief that technology and innovation is essential for helping innkeepers enhance the guest experience, and its commitment to educate its members, the organization is positioned to continue playing a key role in representing the independent hospitality sector for many years to come.
In this podcast, Rob shares insights into the mission of AIHP, its annual 2019 Summit, and key sector trends:
- AIHP’s history and mission. (1:16)
- Insights into the recent 2019 AIHP Summit and key takeaways from the event. (3:34)
- How the AIHP Summit was also beneficial for the Frictionless Guest App. (6:42)
- Information about the AIHP 2020 Knowledge Sharing Summit & Marketplace, which is taking place in Albuquerque, New Mexico. (10:00)
- An overview of the “B&B’s UNBOUND – The State of B&B’s in the U.S.” 2018 study. (11:12)
- Insights into both industry growth and the impact of OTAs and short-term rentals on the independent innkeeping sector. (15:35)
- Why independent hoteliers need to embrace the new changes that are happening in the industry, and how organizations like AIHP can help. (19:58)
We are very thankful to Rob for sharing his insights with us! Stay tuned for part two of this interview series, where Rob discusses the upcoming 2019 State of B&Bs report being provided by AIHP and offers a deeper dive into the future of the independent hospitality sector. You can learn more about AIHP by visiting its website.