For episode #25 of the Frictionless Innkeeper podcast series, we speak with Brian Ontiveros-Kersch, of Bed Bug Advisor, an organization that provides educational resources for the treatment and elimination of bed bugs.
While many people don’t often think about bed bugs, they can be a tremendous nuisance for independent hotels and inns. And unfortunately, they are on the rise, with a logical reason for their exponential growth over the years.
Between 1941 and 1982, the U.S. government launched a campaign to spray pesticides like DDT to manage mosquito populations to drive down the spread of West Nile Virus. This campaign also helped to eradicate the U.S. bed bug population.
Unfortunately though, DDT had a negative impact on bald eagle populations, and the U.S. government halted this effort. As a result, between 1982 and 2001, there was a 500 percent increase in the population size, and during 2004 to 2011, we saw 13,000 percent increase.
This tremendous growth was also a result of bed bugs spreading from more people traveling, both internationally and domestically, due to cheaper airfares available in the wake of 9/11. With more people flying during this time, there were more people staying in hotels, inns and home sharing offerings, making the spread even greater.
Comprised of the top researchers and entomologists in this specialized arena, Bed Bug Advisor is the preeminent organization that provides the best informational resources for bed bug mitigation.
According to Brian Ontiveros-Kersch, with Bed Bug Advisor, there is no “best treatment” when it comes to bed bugs. In this podcast, Brian provides detailed insights into the history of bed bugs, the psychological impact of bed bugs, the best mitigation strategies for innkeepers, and much more.
- The history of bed bugs in the U.S. (1:17)
- About Bed Bug Advisors. (6:10)
- The physical aspects of bed bugs. (11:00)
- How B&B owners can identify if they have a bed bug infestation. (17:20)
- The best options for bed bug identification and treatment. (19:17)
- The psychological impact of bed bugs. (30:55)
- How there is no “silver bullet” for proactively preventing bed bugs. (36:15)
- Insights on the best kind of bed bug traps and prevention tools available on the market. (38:40)
- How the global bed bug problem will be ongoing in the future. (46:09)
- Insights into the business model behind Bed Bug Advisor. (48:03)
- Why using rubbing alcohol for bed bug treatment is very dangerous. (52:49)
We are very thankful to Brian for sharing his insights with us! You can learn more about Bed Bug Advisor by visiting their website.